Sunday, August 25, 2013

small space organization

756 sq. ft. 
I think that is how big our apartment is :) Actually, I love it. It's cozy. It feels bigger than that number. It's really the perfect size for us and it's all the space we need.  Plus, it forced us to purge.  Which I also love. More on that another day. 

I am an organization nut. If you know me at all, that is not news to you. When I see a pile, the desire to neaten, straighten, and find a home for all the things in the pile literally makes something inside me churn. It is seriously hard to articulate how clutter makes me feel. Don't get me wrong. This does not mean my house looks awesomely clean all the time. [Check here for proof.] Nor does it mean I judge you if you have clutter. It really just means I like organizing stuff. A (similarly organizing-loving) friend and I were talking about moving and how much we like unpacking. She said she likes finding a new home for each little thing. That sums it up to a T.  

In my opinion, good organization is easy-ish to maintain and practical. 
If it's pretty too, awesome.  But, usually pretty organizing takes money & time... we have decided not to spend money on pretty organizing right now.  Maybe someday my house will look like this.  Today is not that day.  And as far as time goes, well, we're only going to live here for 10 months. Probably. Not to mention it's 75 and sunny most days right now, so I'd rather be exploring Boston than making my bathroom organization look nice.  Check back in come January... I hear we get a lot of snow in Boston? Maybe my organizing systems will become a work of art this winter.

Anyway, here we go.   [Photo quality disclaimer- iPhone, bad lighting, enough said.] 

My fave organizing tool in a small space? hooks, hooks, hooks.  Hooks utilize wall space, which is your best organizing friend if you have a small space to work with. 


stepstool hook on the side of the fridge makes for easy access to high-up kitchen storage
over the door hooks = no holes in the door AND convenient place for diaper bags (and extension cords, i guess?)
adhesive command hook in the front closet holds our urban grocery cart (scored on clearance for $9.99 at ikea!) 

i spy 2 uses of hooks. pretty world market measuring spoons & mugs.
mugs close-up.  the apartment actually came with these mounted under the cabinet which was perfect!  


a key hook (target) right by the door is the only way we've been able to keep track of keys. and still we find them in pockets, purses, carseats, etc.
over the door hanger on the closet for bags; small command hooks for necklaces. (i copied my MIL on that one)

So, what did we learn today? Hooks are your friend. They meet the two qualifications: practical, easy. Anyone can throw anything on a hook :)

How do you organize?