Tuesday, March 18, 2014

4 major life events in 3 weeks

The other day, my wonderful husband and I were having a talk about various tasks that needed to be accomplished in the next couple days. Which led to a conversation about the next couple weeks and months. Which led to extreme panic. Just kidding. Kinda. (More on that another time.)

Anyway, in order to get our thoughts and tasks organized, we decided to categorize the major things that need to be done instead of getting bogged down by all the smaller to-do's. Ben summarized it well...
"Renee, these are the things that have to be done by the beginning of June:
1. Finish school (May 16)
2. Get a job (ASAP)
3. Move to Nebraska (May 17)
4. Have a baby (June 6 ish)
Could we have picked any more major life events to squeeze into a time period of 3 weeks?" [No, the answer is no we could have not.]
In an effort to divide and conquer, I said, "Okay, but you don't have to think about all those things. I mean, who is having the baby?"
Ben: "Wellllllll...."

i must have given him a look for the books because we both burst out laughing, and he quickly corrected course: "You. You are having the baby."
Me: "Well, it's a team effort."
Ben: "yeah exactly."
Me: "No it is not!!" (I know, it is. kinda.)
[more and more laughter.]

It's a good thing we can laugh about these things, because really, sometimes, what else is there to do?

I'm certain I couldn't put into words the difference between what I expected back then and what life is now, but I definitely am glad I said "yes" 5 years ago. And sometimes, like when you are trying to tackle 4 major life events in the span of 3 weeks, choosing to be thankful & excited that we're doing it all together is a really good thing.