Friday, September 13, 2013

Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup

Ingredients
3 cups chicken stock
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken [I never measure this. In the past, I've used rotissere and boneless skinless breasts. When I use the breasts, I put them in first (whole; uncooked), and then dump everythign on top of them. I shred before serving. This is my favorite (and easiest) way to do the chicken!]
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional [I cut this WAY down. Cayenne pepper is h-o-t!!]
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilis
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilis
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups frozen corn
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
2 large flour tortillas, cut into thin, 2-inch long strips [I often skip these]
1 cup shredded pepper jack or Monterry jack cheese [any shredded cheese works fine!]
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 chopped fresh cilantro

Optional garnishes: crushed tortilla chips, more shredded cheese, avocado, more sour cream, more chopped cilantro. [I sometimes end up eating it like soupy/dip with chips! yum!]

Directions
In a slow cooker, combine everything except the tortilla strips, shredded cheese, sour cream & cilantro. Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours. Stir in tortilla strips and shredded cheese. Cook for an additional 2 hours on low, or until tortilla strips have dissolved into the soup and thickened it. Just before serving, stir in sour cream and cilantro. Top with additional garnishes & serve.

Source: letsdishrecipes.com