Friday, July 25, 2014

Title

You may or may not have ever wondered where the blog title comes from. And you may or may not care. :) But just in case...  

It comes from one of my favorite songs, an old hymn "Come thou Fount." I didn't used to like this song. Or any hymns for that matter. They seemed old, boring, and fuddy-duddy. But when I graduated from college, got married, and realized that in fact, I did not know everything, and not everything old was lame, I grew to really like hymns. And one that I grew to love was "Come thou Fount." 

The more I thought about the words, the less confusing the meaning became. 
And the more it so perfectly articulated a very deep longing in my soul. 

Tune my heart to sing thy grace.

That's ultimately the point of life, really. That my heart, and therefore my life - day in and day out, in the mundane and the exciting, in the good and the bad - would sing his grace. 

Not that I would walk around literally singing about grace all the time (and for this, you are probably grateful)... but that my actions and words would sing His grace.  
Perfectly? No. 
Increasingly? Yes. 

Here are the two of the verses to this hymn that I just love. 

Come, thou Fount of every blessing,
tune my heart to sing thy grace.
Streams of mercy never ceasing 
call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet
sung by flaming tongues above. 
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it -  
Mount of Thy redeeming love. 

O to grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be! 
Let thy goodness, like a fetter, 
bind my wandering heart to thee. 
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, 
prone to leave the God I love; 
here's my heart, O take and seal it, 
seal it for thy courts above. 

And, for a home-decor shout out to this good ol' hymn, how cool is this? I know the reclaimed wood thing is trendy and will probably be out of style sometime in the next 5 minutes, but I still hope it hangs in my house some day.