Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Holy Cow... Photo Op!

Ummm. Guess what?
Somebody is letting me take their engagment pictures!!!
Boo ya! I am so excited :) God is so good to give me an opportunity to indulge in this fun hobby & hopefully provide this couple we like with some halfway decent pictures.

What's that? You'd like to hear every.single.detail. of how this went down? Ok. If you insist.

So we're at 4th of July brunch with the Cooks (extended family) and the conversation went to Ben's cousin and his fiancee who are getting married next summer.  We were bombarding them with questions about plans (actually, maybe it was only me doing the bombarding, now that i think about it... I get excited about weddings).  Anyway, I asked about engagement pictures.  They said something that indicated it wasn't a high priority for them, but they might look into it.  She seemed more interested than he. Isn't that always the case, ladies? :)  Then, the conversation went on to other things. 

As we said good bye later, I got the idea to offer to take pictures.  Just for fun.  As soon as the idea popped into my head, I had to restrain myself.  These cousins are so sweet and just a tad quieter than I am (understatement). And I honestly don't know them too well.  And well, I can be, ... shall we say... intense when I get excited about something.
Wipe that humongous grin off your face, I said to myself as the idea ran through my mind.
Be Calm. Cool. Collected. [I'm sure I had a really awkward opposite of 'collected' look on my face.]
Don't say anything. 
Think about it. 
It will be so awkward if you put them on the spot. 
Don't say it. 
And they left.  And I held my tongue. I sent them a facebook message later with one too many exclamation points and smiley faces.

Now I definitely DID NOT want to oblige them, but I did want to offer to take some pictures as a gift if they were interested in having pictures but not wanting to pay the big bucks (or any bucks!!) for them.   

Now let's get this straight. I am not professional in ANY sense of the word. I enjoy taking pictures and have a moderately decent camera & lens (Canon Rebel t3i - it takes good pics & 50 mm 1.8 - the amateur version of the 'nifty fifty' if you will). 
I've always liked taking pictures.  (The invention of the digital camera was a good thing for the high-school-love-to-take-a-million-pictures version of me. Oh wait. That is still me.)
It takes me many many shots to get one that I love.
But I love capturing a moment.
Especially lovey-dovey-mushy-gushy & every day rmoments between people.

So I am super excited (and a little shy, embarrassed, honored, awkward, nervous, and a host of other things) that M & J are going to let me take some pictures of them.

Like I told them - worst case scenario, they waste an hour or so of their life and every picture is terrible.
But they are so fun and nice, I'm sure that won't happen! 

This week's mission is to find a location. :)