Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Reading in Twenty-twelve

I tried to make a reading list last year, but then I discovered other books throughout the year that I wanted to read.  So I'd read those instead.  But then I'd be sad because I love lists, and I love to check things off lists and then my original reading list was left pretty unchecked.  So rather than have a 10-commandment-style-set-in-stone-reading-list for 2012, I decided to make a list of books I'd like to read and set a more general goal.

2 books per month.  I'm open to suggestions, but here's some that, as of right now, I'm interested in reading:

Last year, I read The Hobbit and surprisingly really liked it.  Once I got into it, I could hardly put it down because I was so captivated by that little Frodo Baggins' adventures.  I also started re-reading The Chronicles of Narnia but I stopped after #4.  So, I am debating whether to venture into The Lord of the Rings, or finish The Chronicles of Narnia.  

or read Harry Potter.  I know, I know... if you are a Harry Potter fanatic, you probably can't believe I haven't read it.  If you think it sounds stupid you might wonder, why now?  well, I saw the 2nd part of the 7th movie with my family and I couldn't believe how many parallels there were to Christianity, especially since J.K. Rowling received so much criticism from Christians.  But in the 7th movie, the parallels to Christianity seemed so blatant.  So we were talking about it afterwards, and my mother in law found some articles on the subject, one of which was an interview with J.K. Rowling.  In the interview she said something to the effect of "it upsets Christians more to hear I'm a Christian than if I said I were an atheist."  (we could talk about that statement for awhile, but it's not the point.)  Now that I've seen the ending and read about some of the intentional symbolism she used, I'm kinda curious to go back and read the whole story.  I always thought I didn't like the fantasy stuff (and I don't think I'll seek out every single novel in fantasy anyway) but I did love The Hobbit.  Plus I've heard a lot about how intricate Harry Potter gets throughout the books.  And the 7th movie was great.   So, I don't know... it may or may not make the cut in 2012. We'll see.

As for right now, I'm working on a couple good books... so you'll get the run-down when I finish (which I'm sure you're super excited about). :) 

What are you hoping to read this year??