Friday, September 30, 2011

Thankful Thursday #3

Ooops! I missed Thursday... where did this week go!?

Today, I'm thankful for grace.  Costly grace.

I am reading Dietrich Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship (slowly but surely) and his words have challenged me to meditate on the cost of God's grace towards me.

"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but he made himself nothing, taking on the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.  And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." (philippians 4:5-8)  [did you catch that or did you just read it?  Jesus Christ did not consider equality with God a thing to be grasped. in order that he might provide a way for ME to know God.  Wow]

grace is receiving something one does not deserve.  (not to be confused with mercy, which is NOT receiving what you DO deserve).

Bonhoeffer writes, "Grace is costly because it compels a man to submit to the yoke of Christ and follow him; it is grace because Jesus says: 'my yoke is easy and my burden is light.'"

Redeemed at high cost.
Christ paid a debt he did not owe because I owed a debt I could not pay.

The thankfulness that wells up in my heart when I think about that - i mean, really think about it - it can't really be put into words and yet here i am trying.

Sometimes I just listen to this song.  and think. and usually cry.  and it feels good.  to think about the Lord and all he's done for me.  (p.s. it's not the best version, but that's youtube for ya)



Forever thankful,
Renee