Sunday, November 17, 2013

On waiting.

I was having difficulty paying attention in church last week. My mind was distracted by waiting.
We're waiting on some things.
Have you ever been waiting on anything?
Well, the Bible has a lot to say about it as it turns out.
As my mind wandered during the service, this kept coming to mind:
Wait for the Lord. Wait for the Lord. 
I knew I had read that in the Bible somewhere, but I find it helpful to actually see it again, to reread it and set my mind on it, to mark it and write it down.
So, I just started in Psalm 1 and browsed for the word 'wait.'
As I browsed, other verses popped out to me too, so I thought I'd share several that spoke to me on Sunday.

Psalm 16:8 I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
Psalm 18:6 In my distress, I called upon the Lord; to my God I cried for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears.
Psalm 20:4-5 May he grant you your heart's desire and fulfill all your plans! ... May the Lord fulfill all your petitions.
Psalm 27:13-14 I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord.
Psalm 33:20 Our soul waits for the Lord; he is our help and our shield.
Psalm 34:1 I will bless the Lord continually at all time; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
Psalm 37:7 Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him.
Psalm 38:15 But for you, O Lord, do I wait; it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer.
Psalm 40:1 I waited patiently for the Lord, he turned to me and heard my cry.
Psalm 130: 5-6 I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; my soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, more than watchmen for the morning.

Meditating on those verses, seeing it over and over - the call to wait - it encouraged me.
It strengthened me.
And I wanted to share, in case you're waiting too...
be still.
wait patiently.
take courage.
wait on the Lord.
hope in the Lord.
Believe that you WILL SEE the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
It is coming.
Keep waiting.
Don't give up.
:)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing those beautiful, hopeful scriptures! Psalm 27 is one of my favorites. I also love Isaiah chapters 40 and 41 when I'm feeling anxious about the future. These are some of my favorite verses from those chapters:

    "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength" (Isaiah 40:31)
    and...
    "Fear not, I am with thee: be not dismayed for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." (Isaiah 41:10)

    It's hard to wait, but I know from experience that God is always one step ahead of us, preparing the way with miracles meant just for us. That knowledge is often the only thing that calms my fears during the "waiting" time and that helps me "trust in the Lord with all my heart." (Proverbs 3:5). Our God is mighty to save--in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete