Thursday, November 7, 2013

And we're back. Plus an adventure.

Oh hi there. It's been a while.
October was... busy. Let's just leave it at that and pick up right where we left off.

So, I've been wanting to make Christmas stockings for our family. Pinterest led me to a couple good tutorials (1) (2), and after scouring fabric.com, I decided on this fabric:
source
This etsy shop was selling those fabrics as a bundle - 1 fat quarter each. But I had recently seen this line at our local fabric store, so I decided to go there for it. It'd be slightly cheaper, and I'd be supporting the local store.

So, my side kick and I bundled up and got ready for an adventure.



Right as I was pulling into the fabric store, I hit a curb. (I was driving a zipcar.) By the time I pulled into the parking spot and got Addie out of her carseat, one tire was completely flat. Bummer. So, I called zipcar, and the nice man on the phone said they would send roadside assistance to repair it. Into the fabric store we went while we waited for roadside assistance to arrive.

Now we don't have Joann's here (very sad), so this is technically a quilting shop. I am always the youngest lady in a quilting shop... by decades. And Addie is usually quite a hit. So when the zipcar guy called back and needed me to go back out to the car, one of the three nice older ladies offered to watch Addie. Addie went right to her, no problem. She's very friendly. Well, I looked for the spare, which didn't exist and when I came back in, Addie was happily playing on the floor, surrounded by a host of sweet old ladies who were just loving having a baby around.

The fabric store did have the line of fabric, but not in the exact colors I wanted. Bummer #2.
BUT, they did have a sample stocking that was really big and made me decide to use half-yards for the stockings so they could hold a little more (you know, for when the little miss knows how to empty a christmas stocking).  Also, I was able to pick out a coordinating solid for the inside lining that matched perfectly! Hooray!

I got 2 of the 6 I wanted and decided to order the rest on fabric.com. [I didn't do this in the first place, because I originally thought I wanted fat quarters, which fabric.com doesn't do. But then when I decided half yards, I still wanted to get some from the fabric store because they were so helpful and nice - with deciding on fabric and with watching Addie while I shopped and looked for a spare tire.] haha

We ended up taking a cab home.
With only 1/3 of our fabric goal accomplished.
But, oh well. It was an adventure.
first cab ride

What did you do this week?

Glad to be back - thanks for reading! :)