Friday, June 29, 2012

easy summer meal

goal for summer eating in our house: cheap, quick, minimal oven, somewhat healthy.

this yummy tilapia was exactly that.


I used tilapia filets that I buy frozen in a big bag at walmart.  If I'm grilling salmon, I go for the fish at a real grocery store from the fish deli (or whatever that place is called where they have the lobsters swimming around near the butcher.)  Anyway, I've found that for this tilapia recipe (which is by far our favorite so far) the frozen walmart tilapia works deliciously.   If you're a fish snob, feel free to get it fresh.
If you get it frozen, pull it out early enough to thaw (a few hours or so.)

You will need these ingredients:  (you don't need the coffee maker...)

You'll need some sort of shallow dish to mix them in.  I use a cake pan.



Unfortunately, this is one of those trial and error no amounts recipes.  Don't run away though.  It's so stinkin' easy and I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter how much of each ingredient you use.  If I was one of those super fabulous recipe bloggers, I'd have figured out amounts but meh, not my style.

Combine the following in your shallow dish:  handful of flour (approx 1/2 cup ish), thyme, pepper, garlic powder, salt. 

Mix it all together.  (i use my hands to mix it... clearly, since you can see a tiny outline of my hand print. woops.)  sometimes i add a little more at this point if it doesn't look/ smell seasoned enough. 

Heat butter or oil in a frying pan while covering the filets in the flour mixture (both sides).  I cover them really well.  (the left filet you can barely see in the picture below)


Sautee for a few minutes on each side on medium-high heat, until the outside looks somewhat crispy and the inside flakes with a fork


Pour a little lemon juice over the top.  Serve with fruit or veggies of your choice. We do a lot of corn on the cob around here... plentiful supply (aka: cheap!!) and so so good.  Rice would be a yummy side too!  Enjoy :)

I got this recipe from HERE (there's a video to watch with 3 ways of cooking tilapia, including this recipe.  It's short.)