Saturday, June 30, 2012

baked potato

So yesterday, I posted about an easy summer meal we ate this week (tilapia in the frying pan.)  My qualifications for a summer meal in our house were: cheap, quick, minimal oven, somewhat healthy. 

This meal was not quick, took so long in the oven that our whole house was steaming hot, and it was not the healthiest of meals.  However, it wasn't completely junky and it was cheap.  So, i guess we're 1 1/2 for 4.


Now that I look at the picture, it's not very diverse in color either.  :)  Before you judge, I did not eat 2 baked potatoes.  Not sure why I had 2 on my plate in the picture... I think my eyes were bigger than my stomach. 

Now, you are thinking... why keep reading?  there is clearly no recipe here... just bake the potato and voila.  Basically, yes.  But i tried a new way of baking potatoes and they were PERFECT.

Perfect Baked Potato
preheat oven to 400 (45 minutes) or 350 (60 minutes)
1. scrub under cold water (not hot)
2. dry with towel
3. poke holes with a fork 3 or 4 times on each side
4. cover with a little vegetable oil
5. roll potatoes in salt (not too much!)
6. place the oil and salt covered potatoes on a rimmed cookie sheet - NO FOIL!!*
7. bake at 400 for 45 minutes (or 350 for 60 minutes)


* I read about this online... wrapping potatoes in foil is essentially like steaming them.  for a true "perfect" baked potato, no foil.  You can check my source here :)

I fried up some bacon for the potatoes along with cheese and a tad bit of sour cream.  If you've never had bacon on a baked potato, you need to try it.

The 400 degree oven + bacon frying = tons of smoke in our kitchen.  And it was 101 degrees outside.  Not to mention I wear long sleeves when frying bacon to avoid greece splattering on my arms :( Poor planning on my part.

However, the meal was delicious. 

We served it with corn and fruit.  (I explained in yesterday's recipe - corn here in nebraska is cheap and delicious.  And when fruit is in season, I go to town!)

Enjoy :)