Friday, June 24, 2011

Tasty Summer Dessert

I made this summery dessert (courtesy of my mother's fabulous recipe collection) last night for a little get-together and it seemed to go over well.  At least I thought it was good.  [Do other people ever tell you they don't like what you made?! haha nope!]  Anyway, I wanted to share with anyone who might read this blog [if there is anybody who reads it...] I didn't take a picture of my finished product so I found a picture online and copied it.  The copied picture looks pie-shaped, but I serve it with a spoon in more of a "clump" shape out of a 9x13 dish :) Let me know if you try it out!

Strawberry Blueberry Crumble                      
Topping ingredients:
1 C. flour
3/4 C. packed brown sugar
1/2 C. whole almonds
1/2 C. oats
1 t. all spice
3/4 C. butter

For the topping, blend the above ingredients in a food processor until crumbly (about 45 seconds).  Try not to over-process.  If it gets too moist or packed together, dumb into a bowl and separate using a fork.

Filling ingredients:
3 pints strawberries, stemmed and halved (or quartered)
2 pints blueberries (substituted for rhubarb from the original recipe)
3/4 C. sugar
3/4 C. flour
1 T. vanilla
2 t. all spice

To make filling, mix the ingredients above together in a large bowl.  Cover and let stand on the counter for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Spoon filling into 9 x 13 baking dish.  Sprinkle w/ topping.  Bake at 375 until the top slightly browns and the filling bubbles (about 40-45 minutes).  Let cool.  Serve heated with ice cream or cool whip and ENJOY!