Tuesday, January 21, 2014

the light in my soul

after 5 1/2 weeks, 3 plane rides, 2 Christmases, and a 3-day-road-trip-that-included-8-states...
we are home.
and it feels good.

more on that another time.

I read this in Proverbs 20 today, verse 27.
"The spirit of the man is the lamp of the LORD, searching all his innermost parts."

The image that came to mind was someone holding a flashlight up to my soul. searching. looking. inspecting. a flashlight, or any light for that matter, reveals what's really there. As a kid falling asleep in the dark, I was very scared of bugs. [Hey, for some kids it's monsters. For me, it was bugs. Giant gross scary ones.] To me, it looked like there were bugs all over my wall. But when I turned on the lights, it was clear to me that my walls were plain yellow. No bugs. So I slept with the lights on.

My spirit IS the lamp of the Lord, and he is searching all my innermost parts.
In this time of my life, that is comforting.
My hormones (and consequentially, emotions) are up and down, and some things about our circumstances for the future are unknown. Sometimes, it seems like I can't even pinpoint exactly what I'm thinking or feeling deep down inside.

But, the Lord knows.
He sees.
And better yet, he understands.
My spirit is His lamp.