Monday, January 17, 2011

If you want a different outcome...

...do things differently.

I recently read that on a blog about test prep.  The author (who is a teacher) says she often reminds her students that if they want different results on tests (i.e. final exams), they need to do things differently.  Simple, but brilliant.  I am going to start reminding my students of this.  I'm not a big lecturer in the classroom.  In fact, I don't think I've lectured my students on anything longer than 30 seconds so far.  (I guess, I figure that no teenager was ever radically transformed in their thinking through hearing someone lecture at them.)  However, "if you want a different grade, do things differently" doesn't count as a lecture, right?  The kids who want to know more will ask.

The pastor at the church I grew up in defined insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Here's to a year of not practicing insanity,
Ren