Friday, December 3, 2010

Messiah 3 and 4

The 3rd and 4th songs in Handel's Messiah are straight from Isaiah 40:4-5

"Every valley shall be raised up,
   every mountain and hill made low;
the rough ground shall become level,
   the rugged places a plain. 
And the glory of the LORD will be revealed,
   and all people will see it together.  
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.” 

Jesus is a life-changer. He alters things.  Eternity changed when the glory of our Lord was revealed in Jesus Christ, God's Word incarnate.  God has a way of doing things that we might perceive as "backwards," but then again whose perception should we assume is right? ours or the Creator of the Universe's?  (Sadly many people would answer that question "ours."  But, narrow is the gate...) 
The valleys raised up, the mountains made low.  Backwards
Love your enemies.  Backwards
Forgive those who wrong you infinite number of times. Backwards.

It's as if Isaiah was shouting - Get ready because Jesus is coming and he will turn your world upside down.  Prepare. Prepare. Don't miss this one. 

What a relevant message for us in this present day.  It hits me in two ways.

1.) Do I have a supernatural revelation of Jesus Christ that is personal to me?  Does it truly personally effect me that Jesus came to earth to live a perfect life.  That my Savior and Redeemer was born in a manger.  That Christmas (as much as I love lights, trees, sparkles, red and green wrapping, and presents) is actually about the King of the World.  Am I ready to approach this season?
2.) Am I preparing for his return?  Get Ready.  He's coming back. The prophecies throughout the old and new testaments ring true - Jesus is returning in glory beyond our wildest imagination.  Is my heart ready?  What will I be doing?  Will He say, "well done my good and faithful servant?"  Because "the glory of the Lord will be revealed and all the people will see it together" whether they believe it or not. whether we're ready or not.  

Handel's Messiah puts this text beautifully to music, but more important than the music is the scripture's implicit question... are we ready? 

Preparing,
 -Renee