Wednesday, October 2, 2013

frame/ gallery nursery wall

We are living in graduate family housing. We plan to be here for 10-11 months total... This means minimal decorating. Definitely no paint. And living on loans means the home decor budget is minimal non existent. Which, honestly, is fine at this point in our lives. :)

So, I used a little "blow money" (we each get some every month) to buy a couple cute frame-able cards and frames from Ikea. Then, I used what we already had laying around and hung a little frame collage wall in Addie's room. 

There was no new, earth-shattering, mind-blowing method to doing this. I just googled 'frame wall' and came up with this process: 

1. Figure out how I want the frames laid out on the floor. (I went with arranging the frames however I want within an imaginary boundary. Some other popular options are hanging frames above and/or an imaginary line, using a ledge, hanging lots of small frames around a big center-focus frame, etc...) 

I started with just these. 


2. Cut paper to size of frames & mark where nail/ picture hanger needs to be. As you can see, I added scrounged up more frames. Go big or go home!

3. Put up painters tape to make my boundary.
4. Tape up paper where frames will go. Move as necessary

5. Hang frames. Some people use measuring tapes, levels & more systematical ways of doing this. I eyeball it, hope it's even, and then rehang if necessary. It is what it is. 



And here's what it looks like above the green dresser/ changing table. I painted that... now THAT was a project. :)      I'd love to make a cover for the changing pad. I mean we still have at least a year or more in diapers, so that's worth it, right? 

Oh, and it's nice to have a helper for projects as daunting as this one! :)